Thursday, May 10, 2007

Biscuit's Garden
















When Biscuit was over the last time we took some time and planted a garden together. She helped plant the radishes, beans, and squash. As you can see her little garden is doing quite well. We will not have radishes in time for Mothers day but close. She also has two tomatoes plants, Grandpa planted those. I must say her garden is doing better than mine. When I had the landscaping done seven years ago I remember trying to convince the landscaper to put my garden spot where Biscuit's is. But he did not want to ruin his design so it is on the other side of the lawn where there is less sun. Oh well.

I have always been around gardens. Growing up on a farm in Iowa you had a garden. A big garden. Sweat corn was planted in the end rows of a corn field close to the house. Needless to say there was lots of sweat corn. One of my first jobs I remember was shelling peas with my mom for canning. Let's just say it takes a lot of shelling to get enough peas to can. And when we canned it wasn't just a jar or two. There was always the local talk of who did the most quarts, pints and of what. And the always ever present warning from my dad to my mom do not to overheat the pressure cooker and blow it up. Which meant melt the safety plug out which I am sure would have made quite the noise.

As an adult I don't plant peas. And I can't grow sweat corn like we had in Iowa. My sister can, she has a garden that must cover and acre. And she still cans and freezes those peas. She still lives in Iowa.

No comments: