Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Christmas in Feb.

Picture of Biscuit at the Amgen Tour of California in Santa Rosa.

Anyway, as a kid my first allowance was ten cents a week. Growing up on a farm I remember my mom always saying the best things in life are free, and good things come to those who wait. So, I computed that in a year I would have $5.00. I waited and worked that whole year for the dime a week and thinking about what would I buy. My job was to collect the eggs with my older sister. Don't remember what I purchased but I am sure it was great.
Anyway in college I wanted a TV so I saved my pocket change for the TV. I think it took about 1 1/2 years to get the Eighty Bucks. And I still had that TV when Mrs H was the age of Biscuit.

So now as a retired person I still save that pocket change. I have been collecting now in the Oat Meal box for a little over a year. I cash it in about every two years. So last week I counted it let's just say there was more than $200 in change. I went to the bank and got coin wrappers and now I am all set. But today was just like Christmas my REI Dividend check came. Now I can buy that new pack. I have it narrowed down to two after a year plus of thinking. The REI store will be glad to see me finally buy it. I tend to try things out a bit. I think I will use it on my trip to India.

The other thing about being retired is you don't get a pay check. But I also just finished and filed my taxes and GW will be sending me a refund. Most years I had to pay a little or just let them keep it for next year. The best news was I did not have to pay the state of California. First time in maybe 15 years.

Well off to the REI website for a little more comparison shopping.

1 comment:

farfromca said...

What a good idea. We should do that. Our spare change used to go to a starbucks fund (for jake, not me) but since we got this new Senseo thing, no more (well, very little starbucks. anyway, love the picture.

Also, i have a post from a few days ago with all the minivan info for you. :) I have posted a lot recently, so you'll have to scroll down a bit!