Sunday, August 13, 2006

Halfoz Works




I had this all done last night when I went to spell check and it would not work. So I hit the back arrow and away went my draft.

So here is try number two. Anyway after retiring; car camping; trip to Europe; and trip to Iowa. I finally made it out on an overnight backpack. WB wanted to watch Biscuit before returning to work. And I wanted to backpack up by Tahoe. So I dropped WB off at Mr and Mrs H's house. And I drove to the Desolation wilderness for and overnight.

While loading my pack I noticed my halfoz Pepsi can stove just setting there. Since I gave them as Christmas presents I figured I should see if the thing really works. So I packed it in my Bear Canister and took about 5 oz of Denatured Alcohol for fuel in and empty water bottle. WB made sure she put the skull and cross bones on with a Sharpe pen so I would not mistake it for water.

The one error I made was my windscreen. Even though it was made for my pot it was not finished. I had not put the holes in for the stakes to go through to hold the pot. So I put halfoz on a rock and turned the wind screen over and put the stakes through the vent holes. See picture. As you can tell it works. Better than I had hoped. With that small amount of fuel I made two meals and six cups of coffee plus some dish washing. I did take my regular backpack stove as a back up but did not need it.

I will publish some other photos next time. It was a good tune up. I had forgotten it takes a trip or two to get used to the pack and break the feet into the boots. Next trip Yosemite.

No comments: