Saturday, August 26, 2006

Miles Of No Roads...




and very few people. Well after a 145 photos taken I decided on these three of the trip. The top one is of a very nice swimming hole just below California falls on the Tuolumne River. Nice and chilly I went for a short dip. The middle one is a view into the back country of Yosemite just north of Tioga Pass Road. Three miles from the road and I saw two folks. The last one is a close up of flowers by Water Wheel falls.

It was a great trip three nights, four days. I wanted to do some of the Trail that connects the five High Sierra camps. So the trail had a fair amount of people but not bad. Most of them were hiking camp to camp and very friendly. I asked each group which camp was the best. The favorite answer was they are all great each one showing a different slice of the Sierra back country. I saw two of the camps. May Lake and and Glen Aulin. May lake being a beautiful high sierra lake and Glen Aulin at the base of the White Cascade. The goal of the hike was to see Water Wheel Falls. I have been wanting to go there for 20 years and it was worth the wait. It has to be just fantastic in early July just when Tioga Pass opens. I hope I can get WB to do at least one or two of the High Sierra camps next year. I am going to put in for the lottery next year and see. Got many hints from hikers along the way. Maybe Biscuit, Mr and Mrs H would like May lake only 1.2 miles from the trail head. Great hiking, swimming, views and nightly fun I could hear from my camp at Raisin lake 1.5 miles away. Complete with showers, and flush johns. WB liked hearing that.

I did all my cooking on my halfoz Pepsi can stove. Worked like a charm. I was very pleased at how it performed. I thought I would need 24 oz of fuel came home with 8.35 oz remaining. And I did not conserve. The only problem I ran out of coffee.

It was interesting once I was within 1 mile of the Tuolumne meadows campground, visitor center etc. Folks looked cleaner and in a much bigger hurry. By the time I got there I was tired, (funny my feet hurt on the bottom first two days and on the top last two days) hungry and ready for a sandwich. Walked right into the store pack and all. Asked where are the sandwiches the clerk pointed me to the cooler. Picked out a nice $6.00 turkey and cheese. When I went to pay the nice young lady said this is expired let me get you a fresh one. Wonder if she would have done that for the other folks. Went next door and got a large fresh Seattle coffee. ($1.85). Went outside and set on the picnic table and started to eat. Looked at the guy at the next table. On his leg was this very large knife in a holster at the ready to protect the family from those Yosemite Bears. The crowd was so different from two miles up the trail I thought as I sat there and watched the RV's go by I had a great trip with 37 pounds of stuff on my back and these folks need a $100,000.00 RV to see 1/10 what I was able to see. Oh well, they just don't know what they are missing. Hope the guy kept the fam protected.

No comments: